This year was another doozy. In 12 months, I:
- submitted, defended, passed, corrected, resubmitted, and was awarded my PhD, then graduated. 302 pages. Discourse, power, gender, ethnicity/nation, age, and SPORT. FUCK YEAH.
- witnessed my brother and sister’s marriages, was maid of honor (delivered a fantastic speech) and bridesmaid, gained a new sister and brother (in-law)
- painstakingly missed two best friends’ weddings (due to cost/distance - totally shit)
- passed the 30 year mark
- lived in five states; visited and passed through nineteen states
- roadtripped across the continent. TWICE. Saw the Grand Canyon, drove Route 66, through forests/desert/mountains/plains/bayou/beach/WEST, SOUTH, and EAST coasts
- became a one-woman moving team, helped collect and raise a Great Dane puppy, and saw my puppy through surgery and recovery
- traveled. A LOT. Airport security staff should know me well and that makes 22 states visited, actually.
- went as far east as Edinburgh, as far west as Hawaii, as far south as Texas
- discovered hot spots and little-known locations in Seattle, Honolulu, San Antonio, and DC
- saw my family members deploy and re-deploy, be promoted, take new roles and grow into leaders
- gained, lost, cultivated, found, and released many things, many words, many thoughts
- discovered hidden strengths and glaring weaknesses, places to grow and lengths still to go
- wrote at least 40,000 words in 3 weeks - edited many, many more.
- rode through DC in Tweed, ran a mud run as an Incredible(s), climbed a mountain, visited many boxes (I’m talking to you CF Inception and CF Oahu!), became extremely proficient in programming, played soccer in three states and two countries, ran in at least six states and two countries
- made properly banging (paleo) Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for the family (all by myself! FUCK YEAH!)
- searched and applied for, interviewed, and was rejected from and offered several jobs. Dog walking still ranks as the most rewarding and enjoyable.
- was told and said goodbye, learned that the truth hurts, found beauty, peace and sadness in silence, and was offered kindness from the most intriguing people and places
- discovered amazing music, art, food, design, and fashion
- learned more than I thought possible, witnessed change, momentous occasions, social upheaval and unbridled joy
- received untold help and support from my family through all of these shenanigans; fought with my family for space and through stress ( :/ … true though!)
- gave thanks over and over, but still not enough. I am blessed.
- confirmed that I’m not perfect - I’m a process… that I made and make a lot of mistakes, that I did the best I knew how in so many realms (and yes I could still do better), learned what works for me and how to be true to—and patient with—myself, and that I am who I am and all these things make me “me”
- (so many other things I’m surely forgetting…)
- and joined Tumblr … and it’s been wonderful to and for me. Thanks, Tumblr and
—>THANK YOU, FOLLOWERS!!<—
So, let’s have some new adventures in 2012… I simply cannot wait.
Don’t drink and drive-and don’t ride with anybody who does. Tipsy Tow offered by AAA: you don’t have to be a AAA member, from 6pm-6am on New Years Eve/day, they will take your drunk self and your car home for FREE. Save this number… 1-800-222-4357. Please reblog this if you don’t mind.